HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
This privacy statement sets out how we use the data that you give to us, or data passed on to us from our partner hospitals.
Bath Anaesthetic Group are committed to the secure management of your data whether it comes to us directly from you, or is passed on to us from partner hospitals in accordance with their policies and procedures. All of your information will be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Bath Anaesthetic Group may change this policy from time to time, and you should check our website to ensure you are kept up to date with these changes. This privacy statement is effective from 25th May 2018.
LAWFUL BASIS FOR DATA COLLECTION
As part of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), we are required to inform you of our lawful basis for handling and processing your data. Our primary lawful basis for data processing occurs under the ‘Legitimate interests’ provision of the GDPR. This allows us to process your data, including your personal and health information, to coordinate anaesthetic provision for your operation or procedure. We understand that using the ‘Legitimate interests’ provision means that we take on extra responsibilities for consideration and protecting your rights and interests, and we have taken necessary steps to ensure they are upheld.
In addition to our Lawful basis detailed above, we understand that the data provided to us about you is sensitive, personal information. This carries additional responsibilities that are provided for by the ‘special category data’ section of the GDPR. We need to inform you that we meet one of the additional conditions described in Article 9(2) of the GDPR in order to process this kind of data. This is detailed below:
“Processing is necessary … for the provision of health or social care or treatment or the management of health or social care systems and services on the basis of Union or Member State law or pursuant to contract with a health professional and subject to the conditions and safeguards referred to in paragraph 3”
WHAT WE COLLECT
We collect the following information about you, either directly or from our hospital partners-
- Address and contact information
- Information related to insurance policies
- Operative procedures undertaken
- Information about your medical history when you are seen preoperatively in an ‘Anaesthetic Assessment Clinic’.
- Details of your general practitioner and other health care providers you may have previously been in contact with.
WHAT DO WE DO WITH THE INFORMATION WE HOLD?
We require the information we hold about you to ensure that you are provided with appropriate anaesthetic services for your operation. It allows us to allocate the most appropriate Consultant Anaesthetist, and to coordinate care from other practitioners to ensure you are optimised for your operation, and in addition to arrange necessary payment for services whether you are paying for your own treatment yourself, or your insurance company is covering the cost of your treatment.
- We will only share your medical information with other healthcare providers (with your permission) who may be involved in your .
- We will carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us including accounting, billing and audit, credit or other payment card verification and anti-fraud screening. This includes contacting your insurance company if applicable, to complete such transactions.
- We will store the personal information provided to us, including the operation you have had for 8 years to comply with tax and financial laws.
- We will store letters containing your medical history until such point that they are recorded in your hospital notes, at which point we will destroy this data securely.
- We may also disclose your personal information where we are required by law.
We undertake to keep the data we hold about you safe and secure. We have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we hold about you.
CONTROLLING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You have the right to control how data held about you is used. We pride ourselves on only collecting and using your data to provide a safe service to you for your operation, and to the effective running of our business. We never share your information for marketing purposes or with third party organisations that you are not already linked without your permission (for example the hospital where you are having your operation, or the insurance provider paying for your operation).
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the General Data Protection Regulations 2018 or the Data Protection Act 1998. If you would like a copy of the information held on you, please write to us or email.
If you believe that any of the information we hold about you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.